Okay, this blog entry should really be titled "how the 4-hour storm door really took 3 days".
But I'm getting ahead of myself, our cabin's front door faces the southwest and gets the brunt of the ocean weather. Due to the salty conditions, wind and rain we felt that our hardworking front door needed a little help. After 2 trips to Home Depot we decided to go with an Anderson's storm door. It looked beautiful in the store and came in a variety of colors, so of course we picked white!
Well . . . that's where the easy turned difficult. We picked up the door with no problem and Gary went at it with Gusto (in the living room)!
Other than the lack of a hack saw, we had all the tools on hand and Gary measured multiple times to make sure everything fit correctly, except he neglected to make sure the door frame was perfectly installed.
Hah, of course the door frame is perfectly installed . . .
in a rickety, never taken care of place . . .
We had the door completely installed, glass and everything, and Gary was all excited to show off his work. He went to close the doors only to find he could not shut the inside door. It turns out that the door frame did not have the same measurements on the top and bottom . . . meaning that the storm door leaned in a little towards the bottom.
Back to the drawing board . . .
Thanks to my resourceful hubby, we figured out how to rip a slim piece of plywood to bump out the bottom of the storm door. However, this did necessitate removing lots of already installed door parts -- ugghh.
So, I guess the main "Storm Door 101" is to measure at the top, middle and bottom of all previously installed doors - no matter how good it looks - before you make your move.
ahhhhhhh . . .