However, in looking over the budget and deciding where to really invest time/money, the bathroom will just have to wait. Its functional -- you can take a shower, although the back wall is water damaged causing minor tile problems -- you can use the toilet, although it looks like it was installed years ago -- you can use the sink, although there corroded sink fixtures and a weird hole that leads to somewhere . . .
All of these problems aside, a fresh coast of paint, a little fan rewiring and removal of old hardware will go a long ways to improving the room. I had already painted the vanity white (it will go later) and the new floor was installed. Next, we removed the warped wood towel racks -- can anyone tell me why someone installs wood towel racks in a steamy, moisture ridden space?? Gary plastered all the holes created and then found multiple old dry wall patches gone wrong and patched those to the best of his ability.
On Sunday morning we discovered that the mirror was not glued to the wall, rather just held in place in 4 brackets -- getting it off the wall was a cinch (yippee). We removed the fan's hack job of wiring and will need to rewire up through the attic at a later point.
Then I went to work prepping the area for primer. I used Zinzer stain block and some left over oil-based primer to really lock in all the stains and yuckies into the wall. Even with just a coat of primer, the place looks a million times improved!! I am also excited because I found a new oval mirror at a rummage sale for $5 and towel racks at half price at a going out of business sale -- yippee.
Enough talk . . . here are some pictures
|Before, putty holes and all!!|
|Prego painter extraordinaire!|
|Bathroom half-way done!|